On this episode of the ODs on Facebook Podcast we take a look at the past, present, and future of private equity in eyecare. Private equity has no doubt been the subject of intense discussion in eyecare recently. This is perhaps due to the fact that the level of private equity activity in eyecare has sharply increased in recent years. It’s clear that private equity has influenced the eyecare landscape and will likely continue to do so for years to come which is why we chose to explore the topic on this episode.
Our goal for this episode is to have each listener walk away with a foundational understanding of how private equity works and be able to confidently answer the following questions…
- What is private equity?
- What’s the history of private equity in eyecare?
- Who are the biggest players in the private equity space as it pertains to eyecare?
- Why the sudden uptick of private equity activity in eyecare?
- What is the goal of private equity companies? Short term? Long term?
- What does the presence and growth of private equity mean for the future of optometry? Private practice? New ODs entering the profession? ODs looking to retire?
- How have the recent developments around COVID19 impacted the private equity industry?
Joining us in this episode is Anne Kavanagh, a managing member at Kavanaugh Consulting, LLC which is an independent consulting and advisory company based in New York City. She specializes in M&A advice, business development, and strategic planning for healthcare and optical companies. Anne attended the Boston College School of Management where she obtained her Bachelor of Science degree in Finance and Marketing, graduating with Magna Cum Laude honors.
Anne’s contact information:
Disclosures: Anne Kavanagh would like to disclose a financial interest in Kavanaugh Consulting, LLC which is a company that provides consulting and advisory services to eyecare providers.
Dr. Mahgoub has no financial interests to disclose.
Music from https://www.zapsplat.com